Mmm.... Middle Eastern food! Living here, I cannot help posting or blabbering about it now and then. It's from here that I learned delicious food could be easy to make and in no time. Back home in India, making dinner was a
What I was trying to explain is that, you could actually make a delicious dinner with one of the yummy dips in the middle east(which is of course easy to make) together with a packet of pita bread or arabic hubbs. Baba ganoush is one of the dips we love to order from Arabic restaurants together with grilled chicken, kebabs and pita breads. I have already posted the recipe of Hummus, the chick pea- tahini dip which is another delicious one which we enjoy very often.
BabaGanoush is distinct with an outstanding smoky flavour which is characteristically formed by the grilling of the Egg plant. You may not find it striking, the first time you try it; but after two- three trials, you slowly get addicted to it. Did I say 'addicted'? Oh yes! That is exactly what this dip is going to do over time. Don't say, I didn't warn you... :)
It is usually served garnished with olive oil and minced parsley. You can infuse some kick into it by garnishing with paprika and/or pomegranate seeds..
Here you go...
2 medium egg plants(abt 900g)
1/4 cup tahini( sesame paste)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
2-3 tbsp yoghurt, optional
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of chilli powder
2 tbsp chopped parsely leaves(for garnish)
Olive oil (for garnish)
Paprika for garnish (optional)
- Wash the egg plants, put random pricks on them with a fork and roast them over open fame of the stove, covered with two to three layers of aluminium foil (about 20 minutes). Make sure to flip on all sides while you do it. You could also roast it in an oven at 400 degree F / 190 degree C. Click here for detailed pictures on how to roast an egg plant. It was so much help for me.
- Scoup the flesh and liquid from the egg plant and transfer it to a bowl. Discard the charred skin.Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add tahini ( you can buy it from arabic stores or super markets), lemonjuice, garlic,yoghurt,cumin,salt,chilli powder and 1 tbsp olive oil into the bowl and mix together with a fork using firm pressure until all the stringiness of the egg plant is disperced and everything mixed evenly.
- Taste the dip and add additional tahini, lemon juice, salt or chilli pdr if desired.
- Drizzle the surface of the dip with extra virgin olive oil and garnish with chopped parsely. Enjoy with pita bread or Arabic hubbs.