The temperature is climbing down very reluctantly. It's almost the end of December and still not so cold. I have never seen December this pleasant and tolerable here before. It is the first time it seems, I don't have to pray for the month to end; dreading the knawing cold which freeze you to inaction. Well.. it's almost pleasant.( I can't believe it's really December) :)
So, making sweets in the kitchen is in vogue. Or, should I say the boys made it a vogue to pester me into making something sweet for them everyday; as they are still having the hunger pangs they usually get in the cold season, although it is not as cold as it used to be...?
Well.. these growing kids!! They have the appetite to eat an army.LOL!! But the army must be sweet and junk. Nothing near to normal food. So, almost everyday; I find myself giving into their nagging and making something sweet in the kitchen. Poor me and my dieting plans!! These kids you know...Sigh!!
This recipe using condensed milk is easier and faster than the traditional one where in you use whole milk and have to wait for ages to get the halwa thickened. Handy for superfast moms like me..
Off to the recipe..
Gajar ka Halwa/ Carrot Halwa -using Condensed Milk Recipe:
1. Heat ghee in a kadai or thick bottomed deep pan. add the grated carrots.
2. Saute the carrots till they turn tender. Keep on stirring in intervals while sauting the carrots.
3. Then add the condensed milk.
4. Stir very well.
5. Add the cardamom powder, cashews and raisins.
6. Add sugar, if needed.
7. Stir again and simmer the halwa on a low flame stirring often, till the mixture reduces and dries up.
8. Serve gajar halwa hot or warm or chilled. You can also add the halwa in a tray or box and let it set. When cool, cut in squares and serve the halwa, topped with cashew nuts.