So nowadays, whenever I get a craving for some American chopsey, I run to my kitchen to toss up everything quickly and make a super fast Indo Chinese lunch in no time. When I began to try recipes at home, it was one of the dishes I first began experimenting with; and it turned out to be quite easy to make like most of the Indo Chinese dishes. The kids too love it.
One thing to keep in mind while making Chopsey is to use egg noodles instead of plain spaghetti unlike in Chowmein. Egg noodles give a nice crunchy texture when fried and imparts a rich taste. You can use instant noodles of any brands like Maggi, Indomie etc too. If you are planning to make American Chopsey for your guests; it's better to fry the noodles in advance and store in an air tight container. That way you can conveniently save a bit of time.
Actually, the gravy of American Chopsey is red in colour with the addition of tomato ketchup to it. But I prefer to have it without ketchup and hence the pale colour of my sauce. If you like you can go ahead and make the gravy red.
Here is the recipe..
Indo Chinese American Chopsey Recipe:
2 cups/2 packets egg noodles of any brand
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, sliced thinly
1/2 cup thinly sliced capsicum
2 tbsp, sliced spring onions
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped baby corns
2 chicken breasts, sliced to small pieces
2 tsp black pepper powder
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil for frying.
For the gravy:
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp white vinegar
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp corn flour
2 cups water
Salt to taste
1/2 cup tomato ketchup(optional)
- Boil the noodles in adequate water for 1 minute or until the knots are untangled. Drain and pour two tablespoons of oil on top to prevent it from sticking. Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a wok and deep fry the noodles in it to form a crispy nest,until slightly golden in color. Remove from oil and drain on a kitchen tissue.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a wok and add sliced chicken breasts to it. Sprinkle with adequate salt and a little black pepper powder.Stir fry in medium heat until nicely cooked.Transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
- In the same wok heat 2 tbsp of oil and saute garlic. Then add onion and saute until translucent. Then add all the vegetables one by one in the order, carrots, baby corns, mushrooms, cabbages, spring onions and capsicum and stir fry adding adequate salt and pepper powder, until well cooked.
- Now add soy sauce, vinegar and sugar into the vegetables and saute on medium heat.Add the cooked chicken breasts to it. Mix corn flour in half a cup of water and pour into the vegetable mixture reducing the heat to low.Add remaining water and stir well until the gravy thickens, taking care not to form any lumps. Adjust salt and remove from heat.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and fry the egg in it(bull's eye)
In a plate or a wide mouthed bowl, arrange fried noodles like a bird's nest. Pour the vegetable-chicken gravy generously on top of it. Top with the fried egg and serve immediately.
(Vegetarians can make it excluding the chicken)